Amory Lovins of the Rocky Mountain Institute, one of the partner organizations of Redesigning Our Future, proposes his plan for a sustainable energy future.
You Will Never Guess What We Are Getting Ready To Do Dr. Jay Bolin and His Invasive Plants and Animals Focus Group Eating Kudzu By Rafaello I went to a unique Discovery Group on Tuesday. It combined poison ivy and deep-frying. (No, we didn't deep-fry the ivy). The discovery session was called "Invasive Species and Biodiversity: Eating the Plant that ate the South!" and was taught by Dr. Jay Bolin, a biology professor here at Catawba College. Dr. Bolin started out the session by talking about specific invasive species , what they are, and how they work. He then told us we were going to go pick some kudzu . After walking for about 15 minutes (of which the last 5 minutes was through a lot of poison ivy), we got to the kudzu. Kudzu is a nasty plant. It is a vine that grows extremely fast, and basically on anything. I saw some kudzu climbing up trees basically everywhere. We picked kudzu (while avoiding the poison ivy that was also everywhere). ...
Whew! It's Dark Out There at Night. Campers Ready to Brave the Night and Enjoy Nature After Dark By Jocelyn On Tuesday night, Ms.Lanier took out two groups who wanted to go hiking in complete darkness, and it was really fun being out there because you were with your peers and really bonding well. This activity shows that you are building a strong relationship because you're out there in the nature preserve at night together. Everyone enjoyed being out there, because they knew someone was in-front of them and really didn't need to use a flashlight to see. You can use the red light if you were really scared of being out there, but no one had to use that at all in our group. Back Safe and Sound from the Night Hike and Ready for My Blogging Focus Group
Designing the Future: Environmental Summit campers know this guy. He is the fellow who makes stopping by the cafeteria for meals a really good time. No matter how your day is going, his big smile and warm welcome perks us up. So, who is Jay? (Well, let's let him tell everyone.) Hi, my name is Jay. I am a current Catawba College Senior, majoring in Communications with a minor in Business Administration. I grew up in Lexington, NC and decided Catawba was the right fit for me after visiting! I decided to work in the dining hall this summer and with the camps because of the people! I absolutely LOVE meeting new people and getting to share my stories and adventures with them as well as getting to know them a little bit and hear about their stories and adventures! I thrive on getting to know people. I enjoy doing camps, because in my experience, the people you meet at camp are some of the most amazing and interesting people you will ever meet! You realize how much in c...
Comments
Post a Comment